Foodie

The title of my blog came from my neice Rebecca who is always excited about what new thing I've concocted (she's a foodie too!) She calls all my food - Liz Food. So I tend to call my yummy stuff that too!



I am foodie - through and through! The dictionary defines a foodie as: "someone who has an ardent or refined interest in food". Like that really covers it? This is a little more like it... "To be a foodie is not only to like food, but to be interested in it. Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food. A foodie will never answer the question "What are you eating" with "I don't know." Yup, I'm a foodie!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Crepes

Since my hubby, Joe, has to leave for work early in the morning - during the week he chooses to just have a bowl of cereal for breakfast. But on the weekend... he loves a big breakfast! So we rotate through french toast, breakfast burritos, blintzes, biscuits and gravy, and crepes on Saturday and Sunday.
Before we were married, and for a while afterward, we loved to go spend the weekend with my sister Esther and her family. They lived about 90 minutes from us, so it was a nice little weekend getaway for us. We would sometimes have crepes with butter and cinnamon sugar - Joe loved this. So when we got married, the first weekend breakfast that I made for him was crepes. Joe had the idea to try them with a slice of bacon in them (along with the cinnamon sugar mix) and they were really good! We've tried all sorts of fillings since then: different flavored yogurts, apple or cherry pie filling, strawberry blintz topping, various fruits, and Joe's favorite - pudding mixed with cool whip to make a mousse. It's totally dessert for breakfast and SO decadent!

Here's the recipe:

Crepes

1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon oil
Mix all ingredients in a blender (you can do this by hand or hand mixer, but you might get some flour lumps). Lightly grease a 6-8" skillet or crepe pan; heat. Pour 1/8-1/4 cup of batter in the middle of the pan and swirl the pan around until it's coated and spread out. When the edges just start to brown and the middle is mostly set (no more slimy batter), gently lift around the edges with a spatula and flip. The second side only needs a few moments to be done & then slide out of the pan. Repeat until done!

My notes:
*Some choose to only cook one side, but I like to flip mine.
*If you pour a little too much batter, don't worry! It'll just make a more pancake-like crepe and you've learned to be careful pouring it out.
*When I have extra crepes, I roll them up all together and stick them in a freezer bag. Just defrost them in the fridge and warm them in the microwave on individually on a skillet.



2 comments:

  1. Have you not discovered the magic that is Nutella? That's the best crepe filling. Mmmmmm.

    I've also had a filling made with sweetened ricotta (or maybe marscapone?) cheese that sort of had a cheesecake consistency. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah... I LOVE NUTELLA!!! But... my hubby just HATES hazelnuts - so I only buy it for myself once in a while

    ReplyDelete

background