Foodie

The title of my blog came from my neice Rebecca who is always excited about what new thing I've concocted (she's a foodie too!) She calls all my food - Liz Food. So I tend to call my yummy stuff that too!



I am foodie - through and through! The dictionary defines a foodie as: "someone who has an ardent or refined interest in food". Like that really covers it? This is a little more like it... "To be a foodie is not only to like food, but to be interested in it. Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food. A foodie will never answer the question "What are you eating" with "I don't know." Yup, I'm a foodie!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Beautifully YUMMY Breakfast Called BLINTZES

When I was growing up we got to pick out birthday meals - all of them - breakfast, lunch, & dinner. 9 times out of 10 we each picked Blintzes. Our family's rendition of blintzes comes from the Better Homes & Gardens "New" Cook Book (mine is the 1976 version). We call that cookbook our family bible of cookbooks. If you go to a restaurant and order blintzes, you'll get some crepe-like pancakes filled with a cottage cheese-y filling. These are an entirely different beast... The pancake part is only a few ingredients: flour, cottage cheese, sour cream, a pinch of salt and some sugar. Then it's topped with a mixture of sour cream and strawberry jam and finished with powdered sugar. Try it - you'll like it - you will see!

*Note: the picture shows only two blintzes on a plate... but NOBODY I know has only eaten 2 of these babies! :o)

Blintz Pancakes
Combine 1 cup flour, 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Then stir in 1 cup sour cream, 1 cup small curd cottage cheese, and 4 beaten eggs. Stir until just combined. Cook on a hot greased griddle. Top each with Strawberry Sauce.

Strawberry Sauce
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup strawberry jam (a little more or less to your taste)

No comments:

Post a Comment

background