Foodie

The title of my blog came from my neice Rebecca who is always excited about what new thing I've concocted (she's a foodie too!) She calls all my food - Liz Food. So I tend to call my yummy stuff that too!



I am foodie - through and through! The dictionary defines a foodie as: "someone who has an ardent or refined interest in food". Like that really covers it? This is a little more like it... "To be a foodie is not only to like food, but to be interested in it. Just as a good student will have a thirst for knowledge, a foodie wants to learn about food. A foodie will never answer the question "What are you eating" with "I don't know." Yup, I'm a foodie!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mustard Beef Roast


This recipe started as a variation from a friend. Her father used to cook it all the time when she was growing up. Originally, she said to use a big 7 bone steak/roast (the kind that are like 3-4" thick), slather it in mustard, and cook it on the grill. Well, I don't grill THICK meat well - always turns out under-done or too tough. So I thought it would work great as a crockpot meal. The recipe couldn't be simpler!

Mustard Roast

Beef Roast (any cut will do - best if it's got some good fat in it)
Spicy Brown/Deli Mustard
Salt & Pepper
Optional: fresh minced garlic & Montreal Steak Seasoning

Slather the mustard all over the roast (see the pic for how thick). If you want it, add the garlic and rub it in. Put it in the crockpot and sprinkle with salt & pepper and steak seasoning. *You do not need to add any water. The roast will cook in it's own juices! I will usually put this in an hour or two before church and it's done when we get home. (Cook on high for 4 hours or low for maybe 6-8)



The BEST part of the roast is the sauce! Take some of the juices (depending on size of your roast and family - I usually only do about 1/4 - 1/2 cup) and put in a bowl. Then whisk in some mustard (a little less mustard than a 1:1 ratio) The fat in the juices and the mustard will emulsify and make the yummiest sauce to drizzle over your meat! *I like to use my immersion/stick blender to mix it - always works great!



No comments:

Post a Comment

background